Wednesday, May 25, 2016

First Grave on the Right By Darynda Jones



Rating 3.5 out of 5
Recommend: sure, why not?

You can read it free on the wattpad app HERE.

So...this was a book club read for the month of May. There were two picks this month and the other was Game of Thrones. Right now I have a few ARCs I have to read and review so I can not commit to reading that series at the moment. Little did I know there are several more books to this series. HA! Shame on you, Dot!

I gave this book a 3.5 because I can't stand the many cliches that are flowing through this book. Yes, I can get over it, but one of my favorite professors told us to try to stay away from your reader being able to finish your sentence. I guess that stuck with me.

This is the story of Charley Davidson (I cringed when the joke on the Harley was finally made). Charley was born with the ability to see the dead. She is, in fact, a Grim reaper and a Private Investigator. Charley uses her powers to help her cop uncle (and before that her cop dad) solve crimes. She does not let many in on her secret -- I mean, would you?  But those who do know either think she's crazy or the best thing since sliced bread. *CRINGE* I did that on purpose! Charley is pretty much hated by her stepmother and sister. The hatred from her stepmother is clear, but from her sister, Gemma, it is really not too clear. Maybe it will be discussed further in "Second Grave to the Left"? I sure hope so. I have a lot of questions.

At any rate, in this book, Charley is helping her uncle solve the mystery as to who killed three lawyers. She is also trying to come to terms with her own powers and what this mysterious entity that has followed her since the day she was born.

Oh! Charley has some scandalous "love" scenes, so I wouldn't recommend this for a younger audience.

Read it. Love it. Read more of it. I have a whiny 18 month old who needs my attention, so I have to end this here.

Currently reading:
to catch up so I can read my ARC of  



 

No comments:

Post a Comment