Friday, May 18, 2018

**Review** The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon


Rating: 5 Stars
Genre: Contemporary Romance/Paranormal
Triggers: Loss/Death

Blurb:

 I tell you right up front, right in the beginning that I lost him, it will be easier for you to bear. You will know it’s coming, and it will hurt. But you’ll be able to prepare.Someone found him in a laundry basket at the Quick Wash, wrapped in a towel, a few hours old and close to death. They called him Baby Moses when they shared his story on the ten o’clock news – the little baby left in a basket at a dingy Laundromat, born to a crack addict and expected to have all sorts of problems. I imagined the crack baby, Moses, having a giant crack that ran down his body, like he’d been broken at birth. I knew that wasn’t what the term meant, but the image stuck in my mind. Maybe the fact that he was broken drew me to him from the start.

It all happened before I was born, and by the time I met Moses and my mom told me all about him, the story was old news and nobody wanted anything to do with him. People love babies, even sick babies. Even crack babies. But babies grow up to be kids, and kids grow up to be teenagers. Nobody wants a messed up teenager.

And Moses was messed up. Moses was a law unto himself. But he was also strange and exotic and beautiful. To be with him would change my life in ways I could never have imagined. Maybe I should have stayed away. Maybe I should have listened. My mother warned me. Even Moses warned me. But I didn’t stay away.

And so begins a story of pain and promise, of heartache and healing, of life and death. A story of before and after, of new beginnings and never-endings. But most of all...a love story.  

Dot's Dirty Deets

I felt that whole entire book. Honestly, I was not expecting it to be paranormal. We are discussing it in one of my Facebook book clubs (shout-out to Reading Brings Us Together) on Sunday and you all know me, not reading anything about the book, just diving right in. I was like, wait what...nooo...I do not really like paranormal or fantasy books. I do, but I don't - love hate kind of thing. But this one I loved.


I know what you're thinking, "Dot, you love everything." It's not true. I don't. I just rarely blog about the books I don't like. Like I was reading 44 Chapters About 4 Men by before this and I just couldn't get into it. I do not like everything. So, THERE!

Anyway, back to The Law of Moses.

This is my first Amy Harmon book and I will absolutely be picking up Tag's book next. I loved it! The characters. The imagery. The beauty. The hurt. The pain. The slow burn. The cool letdown. This book needs to be on your TBR. This book needs to be loaded to your kindles, bought from your bookstores and gobbled up into your mind.

Moses. Oh, Moses. You can't help but love Moses. You want Moses to win. You want Moses to get his Sugar Honey Iced Tea together. At times you want him to lose, too. I hate to admit it, but at times Georgia was just too good for Moses. But I loved Moses. I wanted Moses to win. I wanted Moses to get his Sugar Honey Iced Tea together for the sake of Georgia. I wanted him to lose, too. Moses has gifts that he won't accept. He runs from it. He runs from life. But I understood it. I could relate - not in a "I see dead people" kind of way, but in a "if people knew this about me, they would think I'm a freak" kind of way. And boy do I love relatable characters.

Georgia. She's feisty. She's young. But she knows in her heart that she is in love. With the boy who runs from everything. Especially her.

This tangled love story will have you wanting more. And the ending has you shocked. It had me shocked. It doesn't leave you wanting more in a "I need another book with these characters" way, just a "I can't put this book down" way. Drink it up with a nice glass of wine or a cold glass of iced tea if you're into non-alcoholic bevs. As long as you drink it up. Keep tissues by. I cried A LOT.

LINKS:

Goodreads



No comments:

Post a Comment